Thank You Emerald Sponsors!
Sandy Visitor Center
The Sandy Visitor center is located at the Sandy Historical Museum.
38345 Pioneer Blvd., Sandy, OR 97055
With a population of over 9,000 people, Sandy, Oregon is a city located on the Mt. Hood Highway (U.S. 26) midway between Portland and Mt. Hood.
Residents of Sandy enjoy a mild climate, clean air, good water, beautiful scenic views in a country setting, and all the advantages of small-town living with many big city amenities. Sandy is less than 45 minutes from the urban amenities of downtown Portland.
Though Sandy’s heritage was logging and saw milling, today’s economic activity comes from agricultural, tourism, light-industrial manufacturing and service businesses.
Although there are several opportunities to work in our surrounding community, many Sandy residents commute to jobs in nearby Portland. Agricultural crops in the surrounding area are primarily nursery stock and a variety of berries.
Sandy’s civic organizations – including Kiwanis, Lions, and Optimists – actively work for the betterment of the community.
Sandy boasts an active arts scene and is home to the Sandy Actors Theatre and the Wy’est Artisan Guild. Local artists display their work throughout town but notably at the Chamber, the library and the Theatre.
Major murals adorn the city walls and summer time brings additional arts, crafts, music, theater and movies into Sandy through the Mountain Festival in July, Oktoberfest in September and a series of free concerts and movies throughout the summer in Meinig Park.
Sandy is proud of its new High School, remodeled public library, new police station, newly remodeled Community and Senior Center, and a fine public school system, the Oregon Trail School District.
U.S. Highway 26 remains a major thoroughfare for travelers and for commerce; agriculture is central to the area’s economic stability; and industrial activity is increasing. However, the prominent attraction to Sandy continues to be its’ natural resources, outdoor activities and being a great place to live.
Map of Sandy Oregon
History of Sandy, Oregon
In 1845, Samuel K. Barlow, a pioneer emigrant from Kentucky, blazed a road (known as The Barlow Road) from The Dalles, Oregon around the south side of Mt. Hood to Eagle Creek (a settlement just east of Oregon City) thus completing the last leg of the famous Oregon Trail that began in Independence, Missouri.
Sandy’s first settlers, the Francis Revenue family, arrived in 1853 and soon opened a trading post here on the Barlow Road and served many of the thousands of pioneers who traveled through on their way to the Willamette Valley.
Sandy’s first Post Office was established in 1873 and the village became an incorporated city in 1911.
Sandy was named for the nearby Sandy River which was originally identified as the “Quicksand River” by Lewis and Clark; however, the name “Quicksand” gradually evolved into “Sandy”.
Visit the Sandy Historical Society Website.